Hibiscus-Vodka Cocktail with Mint and Jalapeño
This gorgeous cocktail combines homemade hibiscus syrup with lime, vodka (or gin), and a few slices of jalapeño and mint.
Servings: 3 cups syrup
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 1/2 cup sugar you could also use agave or honey
For 2 Cocktails
- 1/2 cup hibiscus syrup
- 1.5 ounces lime juice about 1 large lime
- 4 ounces vodka or gin
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar optional, if you like a sweeter drink
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced into rounds
- A few mint sprigs
- 1 lime thinly sliced into wheels
Make the hibiscus syrup: In a saucepan, add 1/2 cup sugar to 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Add dried hibiscus and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a jar or glass container and chill until cold (about 30 minutes). Can be made up to 2 weeks ahead.
Make two cocktails: Add ice, chilled hibiscus syrup, lime juice, sugar (if using) and vodka to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously to combine.
Add ice to two highball glasses and divide into each glass. Twist a few leaves of mint and add to each glass along with 2 or 3 slices of jalapeño, and a lime wheel.