Warm Cheddar and Stout Dip
A good beer isn't only the perfect liquid accompaniment for warm snacky finger-food; it also adds a rich, malty note to a tasty cheese dip that we serve with pretzel pigs in blankets, nachos, chips, or almost any salty dipper!
- 3 cups 12 oz./ 375 g grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (yellow)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 ounces stout beer
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon dry English mustard like Colman's
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 to 3 teaspoons sriracha or other hot sauce to taste (we used 1)
- Kosher salt to taste
In a medium bowl, toss cheese with cornstarch until coated and set aside.
In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan set over medium heat, stir together beer, milk, dry mustard, garlic powder, turmeric, and Worcestershire sauce until simmering.
Lower heat to low and add cheddar cheese, and cream cheese, stirring until completely melted, bubbling slightly, and thickened. Stir in sriracha and season with salt to taste; serve immediately.